Chat Box

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Klepon (Indonesian Style Mochi)

Today I made Klepon =") If you are familiar with Mochi, then Klepon has slight differences with Mochi. The texture is the same because they are both made from rice flour, but the kind of rice flour that are used are the glutinous one. They are both have elastic texture, affected by the glutinous characteristic from the rice flour.

Klepons are usually filled with brown sugar, while Mochi usually filled with brown sugar with the addition of grind peanuts. And another difference is, Klepons are covered with grated coconut.



What makes me love Klepons is that when I put one Klepon into my mouth, there's this shocking sensation in the first bite. The melted brown sugar shoots out of the klepon! Wowww you know it makes me want more and more klepons in my mouth HaHa.


Basically, Klepons are made with Suji Leaves water to give the green color. But nowadays, I found that some Klepons are made with the addtition of yellow/purple cassave (usually called Japanese Cassava). Even some are filled with mince meat.
I've found the recipe for that special one, and been thinking of making them one day ="D Even more, I am dreaming of making my own kind of Chocolate Klepon haha. Unfortunately it was just a dream... but well maybe it will come true haaa.

From the recipe book I read, to make Klepon you need :
300 gr of glutinous rice flour
75 ml of Suji Leaves water
100 gr of brown sugar (grated)
grated coconut from 1/4 part of coconut fruit
1/4 tea spoon of salt

To make them is really easy. All you do is mix the rice flour with suji leaves water little by little until the dough is mouldable and not sticky. Make little round like balls from the dough and then fill them with brown sugar, and then round them again. Meanwhile, boil some water with 1 piece of pandan leaves. And then boil the round doughs until they are floating. Take them out and drain them. Soon after that, roll the klepons on the grated coconut. And they are ready to eat.




In this case, I wasn't quite following the recipe hehe. Because I didn't had much time, so I was thinking of taking a short cut. Instead of using the original glutinous rice flour and suji jeaves water, I bought the instant flour... taaddaa! The rice flour are already mixed with suji leaves and pandan leaves, and it also has vanilla flavor. I know its kind of fake. BUT, its fast and delicious haha. But, anyhow, if I had more time, I would prefer the basic recipe though. After I made the klepons, they did taste instant-like. So, actually I wont suggest you to follow me hehe. But though, at least I gave you the real recipe =") Just so you can try it at home.



Anyway, for your information, the instant way that I did was not fully instant though. Because it costed me a bit of confusion. I thought when I change the original glutinous rice flour with the instant one, I can use the same amount of water needed. But no, I had to add more and more. Maybe about three times from the recipe. See, that's why I don't suggest you do it instantly. And another thing, I also add a little bit of coconut milk. Coconut milk should make the klepon softer and has thicker Indonesian taste. And they did (Thank God). Next time in my spare time, I will surely try the Chocolate Klepon thing hehe.




1 comments:

Licu

I'm so glad that my family likes them ^.^ Even my dad craved most of them ="D

It's all about FOOD, RECIPES, and LIFE STYLE!!   © 2009. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP