Chat Box

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Putu Ayu Gula Merah (Rice Powder Cake with Brown Sugar)

Whoaa such a late week haha. Sorry my friends, I'll try better to start an earlier week hehe.

So, I've planned to make various kinds of Indonesian cakes this week. But honestly, they will be my first attempt. And I will have to try harder to make the best first of them =")


The first cake of this week is Putu Ayu. This kind of cake is made from the mixture of wheat flour and rice powder. That's the special part. The rice powder is holding a role of making the cake a bit flexible but soft. And it will soon melt when it enters your mouth. Well, basically Putu Ayu is made with Pandan leaves and Suji leaves to give the green effect. But this time, I made it with brown sugar. I always love the smell of the brown sugar and the taste for sure. Oh, and what's that on the top? Those are coconut grates. Really a nice mixture. That's why I choose Putu Ayu as the first dish... or I can say dessert ^-^


For my first attempt I couldn't believe that they came out really nice.

I didn't have any problem at all in the process. I just followed the recipe I got from the Cooking Newspaper I bought about 2 months ago. Well, not all following though hehe, because when I read the recipe for the first time, I just felt I need to improvise. So I thought it might come out better with more egg yolk and more brown sugar. So, I was kind of neck, and believed in my instinct, and they did came out great ="D


Actually my desire to make these beautiful cakes are so great that I forgot to buy more putu ayu's cups. I only have a dozen of them and it won't be enough for making 1 recipe. So I pour the rest of the batter into my pudding cups. ="D My mom said they came pretty too. And I think I like them too. Not from the shape though, but by more of the batter instead of the coconut grates haha. Honestly I don't really like the taste of the coconut grates. But I got to admit lots of Indonesian people like coconut grates. They even use them for main course toppings. Well for that I like it too, but steamed.... let me think about it ="p


Well in this case, the batter with brown sugar cover up the taste of that grated coconut. And I am happy about it =")

Before you got bored of my chit chat, here I give you the recipe.

Ingredients:
150 gram of coconut grates
1/4 tea spoon of salt

3 eggs + 1 egg yolk
1/4 tea spoon of salt
80 grams of brown sugar (grate them yourself, I used a peeler to do it)
30 grams of granulated sugar
1 tea spoon of emulsifier (SP/TBM)
100 gram of wheat flour (medium protein)
50 gram of rice powder
100 ml of coconut milk

How to make:
1. Lubricate the cups with oil (use a small brush to do this)
2. Mix the coconut grates with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. And then take about 1 1/2 tea spoon of them and put them on the cup, press them.
3. Stir the eggs, salt, brown sugar, sugar, and emulsifier until they form a thick and very expanded batter. How expand? About 4 to 5 times than the original.
4. Add the wheat flour and rice powder into the egg batter little by little in turns with coconut milk, while you stir them slowly. Remember to stir them one directional.
5. Pour them into the cups and steam for about 10 minutes, with medium fire.


I love them so much! Don't they look cute?


Wanna bite? Hehe I have ="p



0 comments:

It's all about FOOD, RECIPES, and LIFE STYLE!!   © 2009. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP